203 Main Street    Lenox, Massachusetts 01240    Phone: (413) 637-4800    innkeeper@cornellbb.com

Our Story

Our Story

Nell and Tim are your innkeepers.  We, along with our two sons, purchased the Cornell Inn in 2012 and moved to Lenox full-time in 2013.  The Cornell Inn has been spoiling guests for over 100 years and we work very hard to provide the inn and our guests with the attention they deserve.  

The Cornell house was built in 1888 by the Cornell family, having purchased the property from the MacDonald family next door. For most of its existence, The Cornell Inn (formerly known as the Twin Maples Inn) has been a lodge, an inn, a bed & breakfast or a way house for weary travelers on the road from Albany to Boston.

The Carriage House was built in 1889 as a stable for the Cornell family. It later became a speakeasy during the prohibition era and housed Tanglewood students in the 1950s. It was rented as a summer home until the 1990s when it was renovated and remodeled into 4 suites which may be rented as 8 individual en suite guest rooms.

The MacDonald House (built in 1777) is our oldest home, and is one of the oldest homes in town.  It is the newest addition to the inn.  It was home to Edward and Helen MacDonald and their two daughters, Helen and Mary. During the Civil War, Edward was a sergeant in Company I, 49th Massachusetts regiment. He later served in the Legislatures of 1870 and 1908. In 1889, along with William D. Curtis and State Senator Thomas Post, he organized the Lenox National Bank where he served as the cashier until 1917, when he was elected president of the bank. During his lifetime in Lenox, he was also a postmaster, town clerk, selectman, and assessor. Helen and Edward’s daughters, Helen and Mary, retained the house in the family until they passed away. Mary was a teacher at Monson High School, while Helen taught at Lenox High School. 

We look forward to welcoming you to the Cornell Inn.